Required Clearances for School Employees:
It is acceptable for school employees to transfer between schools within the diocese and rely on the clearances held by the previous employer as long as there has been no break in service. A new Disclosure Statement is required when there is a change in location.
Any parish employee or active volunteer who becomes a school employee will not be permitted to use their existing clearances unless they are less than 12 months old and they have an FBI clearance via the PA Department of Education.
Follow the instructions listed below: complete all bullet points. Print all your paperwork and return it to Erin Maiolino.
- Pennsylvania Access to the Criminal History check: $10.
Link to the site: https://epatch.state.pa.us/
- Click on: Record Check
- Click on: New Record Check
- Click on: Accept
- Reason for Request: DHS – Volunteer Work – Employment * (The lines indicated with an asterisk is a must complete line.)
- Click: Next
- Complete the Record Check Request form by filling in the required fields.
- Verify information as correct – Spelling – SSN – Date of Birth
- Review the information you entered.
- Click: Submit
- Childline – Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services (DHS): $10.
Link to the DHS for Electronic Submission: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS. Create INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT or click on INDIVIDUAL LOGIN if renewing.
Required for all school employees. The cost of the Pennsylvania applicant fingerprinting process is $27.50. Your fingerprints will be used for a background check of the FBI database.
To acquire a FBI report – You must first register with COGENT Systems prior to going for fingerprints. This can be done 7 days per week 24 hours a day at https://www.pa.cogentid.com/ or by phone Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST at 1-888-439-2486.
Payments can be made on line using credit card or debit card or at site with a money order or cashier’s check ONLY made payable to COGENT SYSTEMS. No cash or personal checks will be accepted.
- Select: Pennsylvania Department of Education. We cannot accept a FBI report through the Department of Public Welfare for a School employee.
- Reason for fingerprinting: Select: Employment with a significant likelihood of regular contact with children.
- Click – Next – Verify all information as being correct
- Click – Next – Here you are to enter your credit card information
- Click – Pay, after reviewing all information as correct
Minor Summer Hires are required to have the same background checks as other school employees.
All that is needed after you have been fingerprinted is the Registration Number. The Diocese of Harrisburg will be able to pull the report in one to two days.